How To Import Passwords Into Chrome
If you recently made the switch to Chrome from another browser, you could be seeking a method to import your information from the previous browser you’ve utilized. In Chrome or other browsers Importing settings and bookmarks from a different browser is quite simple. However, there are times where you’d like to save passwords from the old browser into the new one. By default, the import passwords feature isn’t officially accessible in Chrome. However, there’s a simple method to enable it. Table of Contents
Reasons to Import Passwords?
Here are a few of the reasons you may want to import your Google passwords:
- You’re installing Chrome following a recent uninstallation.
- Switching to Chrome from a different browser
- It is possible that you have deleted your saved passwords
How to Import Passwords Into Chrome
Below are the steps to import your passwords into Google Chrome:
Import Passwords via CSV File
Utilizing using a CSV file to transfer passwords to and from any browser. Every browser will allow you to export your passwords in an CSV file. If you haven’t yet exported your password We recommend that you do so. Exporting passwords is possible via in the „Passwords“section of the settings for your browser. After exporting, is the time to turn on the import feature of passwords in Chrome.
Enable Password Import Flag
Flags are experimental features of Chrome that are not included in the default version of Chrome. The features are currently being evaluated and are typically kept in the background. However, they are easily accessible and activated.
To enable the import password flag to be enabled, follow these steps:
- Open Chrome. In the Address Bar, type chrome://flagsor
- In the search bar, search for the word „password import“
- Click on the default menu to display an option menu drop-down
- Select Enabled
It will prompt you to restart your browser. Do it now.
Using Command Prompt on Windows
If you’re unable to find an option to turn on the Password Import flag for any reason, there’s an alternative to activate it by using your Command Prompt. Follow the steps below to activate the feature:
- Press the Windows key + R to open Run.
- Enter cmd, then click OK.
- Input the following commands: cd „C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application“ chrome.exe -enable-features=PasswordImport
NOTE: On windows 10 add „Program Files“ (x86)“ with a space in front instead of Program Files.
Using Terminal on Mac
To enable the feature to import passwords within Chrome with your Mac terminal, follow the steps in the following steps:
- From the Dock click on the launchpad icon.
- Look for Terminal and then click it to open it.
- The command you enter is: /Applications/Google\ Chrome.app/Contents/MacOS/Google\ Chrome-enable-features=PasswordImport
Using Inspect Option
If the previous method didn’t work for your device, make use of the Inspect option to activate this feature. Follow the steps listed below to do the following:
- In Chrome, open Menu. Menu
- Go to Settings > Autofill > Passwords
- In addition to the passwords you have saved, click on three dots. Right-click Export passwords, and choose Inspect
- In the above section choose the Hidden optionand remove it.
Now , you are able to transfer passwords into Chrome by using a CSV file. Follow the steps below accomplish this:
- On Chrome, click the three dots in the upper right corner.
- Click on Settings
- Set Autofill to the setting you want to use.
- Click on Passwords
- Three dots are located beside Saved Passwords and select import
- Choose the CSV file that contains the passwords
Import Passwords From Your Google Account
If you’ve used Chrome previously, your passwords could be saved to the Google accounts that you used at the time. You can log in to the account and access your passwords with ease. To transfer passwords from your Google account, follow the steps below:
- In Chrome Sign into your Google account with the passwords
- Start the menu and go to Settings
- Change into an Autofill section. Select Passwords
- Click on “ Manage and view saved passwords within the Google Account. Google Account. „
- Besides your Google account, click on Show and confirm
Import Passwords Into Chrome From Mozilla Firefox
It is possible to directly import passwords from Firefox to Chrome. There is no need to enable any of the features which makes it more efficient. Therefore, if you are using Firefox and you want to import your passwords to Chrome, follow these steps below:
- In Chrome, click on three dots in the right-hand side of the screen.
- Go to Settings
- In the You and Google section, click Import bookmarks , settings and settings
- Choose Mozilla Firefox. Make sure that the Save passwords box is ticked.
- Click on Import
Frequently Asked Questions
How to Export Passwords From Chrome?
Here are the steps for exporting passwords that you have saved in Chrome:
- In Chrome, go to Settings.
- Select Autofill. Click on Passwords.
- Just below the passwords saved Click on the three small dots
- Choose the passwords to export… and confirm
- You must enter the device’s security code or PIN
- Check the address and click OK
How to View Passwords in Chrome?
Follow the steps below to see the passwords in Chrome:
- Go to the Chrome Settings
- Select Autofill. Click on Passwords
- In the section called Saved Passwords, locate the website you wish to see the password for.
- Just click the eyes icon and you’ll be able to
- Input your device’s security password or PIN